Laura was the very last person I photographed on my 2013 summer trip to the east coast, the morning before I had to check out of my hotel to head home. She’d seen and heard about the images I’d previously made with Playboy Model Samantha Pirie and she figured it would be fun to try it out herself. Samantha did Laura’s makeup and also provided invaluable posing instruction to make sure Laura would look like a pro!
I used both natural light coming through the window and AlienBees flash units. The shots with flash can be identified with the telltale “halo” shadow that surrounds Laura on all sides — a distinctive feature of ringflashes. For these shots, there was also a another AlienBees strobe to camera right, slightly behind Laura, with a warm gel.
- Nikon D600 DSLR Camera (get the newer D610 at Amazon.ca or Amazon.com)
- Nikon 85mm FX ƒ/1.8G AF-S Lens from Amazon.ca or Amazon.com
- Nikon 70-200mm FX ƒ/2.8G ED VR II AF-S Zoom Lens from Amazon.ca or Amazon.com
- Nikon 24-120mm FX ƒ/4G ED VR AF-S Zoom Lens from Amazon.ca or Amazon.com
- AlienBees ABR800 Ringflash
- AlienBees AB1600 Flash Unit with warm gel
Click images of Laura below to enlarge